Thu, Feb 22 09:51 AM |OMG

Mother Of 12-Year-Old That Is Missing Has Been Arrested; This Comes 7 Months After 13-Year-Old Daughter Reported Missing And Father Arrested

Uh, wow.

A search is underway for 12-year-old Jalyssa Shannon, who hasn’t been seen nor heard from since leaving home.

Oh and she is the sister of 13-year-old Janessa Shannon...who went missing in early July 2017 but was found murdered weeks later.

Jalyssa left home around 9 PM on Sunday (February 18), a Manatee County Sheriff’s Office news release explained. 

Her mother, Michelle Mosley, called the sheriff’s office to report her missing a few hours later.

The girl is 4-foot-11-inches tall, with black hair and brown eyes. She last was reportedly seen wearing a black shirt and Capri pants.

Upon calling the police to report her daughter missing, Michelle was arrested for welfare fraud. The 35-year-old was arrested about 3 AM Monday and booked into the Manatee County jail.

According to an arrest warrant, she failed to disclose information about her household’s income between November 2013 and January 2016. She was released Monday afternoon, after posting $1,500 bail.

Over the years, the girls’ parents battled for custody of the children and traded unproven allegations that the teens were being abused. Yikes.

On July 3, 2017, Janessa was reported missing by her father, Nahson Shannon. At the time, he told investigators he last saw her at his Riverview home two days earlier. He attended at least one vigil with other family members.

Nine days later, a hiker found Janessa’s decomposing body in the Triple Creek Nature Preserve; around eight miles from the father’s home.

In October 2017, Nahshon was arrested on charges of first-degree felony murder and aggravated child abuse. 

Investigators found evidence that they say shows that the man wrapped his daughter in a black plastic garbage bag sealed with clear tape and buried her in a shallow grave. Her nose was broken, she had fractures above two teeth and she’d been hit and possibly strangled in the final hours of her life; she also had traces of cocaine and alcohol in her system when she passed away.

Hillsborough County court records show he entered a plea of not guilty to the charges on December 28th. The case is still on-going.

“I knew from the very beginning,” Michelle told the Tampa Bay Times. “My only words to him would be ‘How could you?’

We hope that Jalyssa is found safe and sound! 


UPDATE: Jalyssa has been found safe and is at her cousin's house, according to her grandfather, who said he was contacted by the Manatee County Sheriff's Office.

Add comment

Upcoming Events