Mon, Dec 4 01:06 PM |Entertainment

Report: 15-Year-Old Girl Stabbed Over 50 Times & Set On Fire By Man She Met On Facebook

A 23-year-old man Philadelphia man has been arrested for stabbing a 15-year-old girl to death, before attempting to cover up the murder by setting her body in fire. 

Police say Cole Swaringer-Herring met his young victim, Sabriya McLean, on Facebook. The pair finally met face-to-face on Monday, when the 15-year-old left her home in New Castle, Delaware to meet up with Swaringer-Herring in West Philadelphia.

Sabriya made the 40 mile trek to Cole's parents' apartment, where the teenager was stabbed to death over 50 times. 

Swaringer-Herring attempted to hide the heinous crime by taking McLean's body into an alley behind his parents' home and setting it on fire. However, his devious plan hit a snag when the smoke from the fire set off the fire alarm in the home.

Firefighters responded to the scene, but Cole was able to conceal the teenager's body from emergency responders by covering her with leaves. 

Swaringer-Herring's parents were out of the apartment at the time of the murder, but they reportedly returned home later that night. That is when Cole reportedly confessed to murdering McLean. 

Swaringer-Herring's parents drove him to a nearby police station the following morning, where he told police what he had done. Investigators later arrived to the crime scene, where they discovered the body of the 15-year-old girl. 

Swaringer-Herring was arrested on charges of murder, arson and abuse of a corpse.

Investigators have not revealed Swaringer-Herring's motive for the murder. However, numerous teen girls on Facebook have claimed Cole contacted them to solitic sex for money. 

Police are investigating to determine if Swaringer-Herring is connected to any other crimes, due to the violent crime. 

"It was a very violent act so we're looking at him in connection to some other possible cases that we've had," Capt. Jack Ryan told 6ABC.

Swaringer-Herring does have a criminal history involving making terroristic threats, simple assault, reckless endangerment and robbery/conspiracy.

He was sentenced to two to 10 years in prison in 2013 after pleading guilty to robbery by threat of immediate serious injury.

Swaringer-Herring was actually facing another felony robbery charge, but the case was tossed out in August when a witness failed to appear in court.

Add comment

Upcoming Events